From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2011 09:30:30 -0500
Dear Lactnet Friends:

My friend send me this snippet from a parenting list:

   "My baby uses a sound machine to sleep and last night it
   stopped working. Ack! Does anyone happen to have one they are willing
   to sell or let me borrow........... I'm hoping to get my hands on one
   before my baby's naptime today."

What will these children grow up to need? What will they be like? How will
they have friends, mate, and have long marriages? There are more and more
substitutes for relationship here in the USA: machines to extract milk,
machines to help children sleep, machines to monitor children sleeping alone
in bedrooms....machines to be manufactured, packaged, marketed and sold;
machines to be used, and machines to be discarded in landfills when they
break, wear out, or outgrown. This is progress??

The trend towards bottle-feeding pumped milk  is considered by some to be
"equivalent " to breastfeeding, at least here in the USA. A mother was late
to my infant massage class last week because she had to pump milk to have
some available if her baby got hungry in class. I watch mothers bottle-feed
in my massage class; it is so much work because babies need more than food.
I wonder if bottle-feeding pumped milk makes parenting more difficult as the
babe in arms can smell milk in the breast, but can't have it.

Will there be a Parent-net list in another few decades, where ancient arts
of parenting (breastfeeding, holding, cuddling, interacting to soothe) will
be discussed?

sigh.

warmly, and fast approaching dinosaur-hood

Nikki Lee RN, BSN, Mother of 2, MS, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI, ANLC
craniosacral therapy practitioner
www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com