Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2012 08:58:05 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
posted under Susan's subject heading!  :-)
re the survey--Excellent idea, BUT I have just been informed that the DOJ issued a decision re USLCA's survey in 2004, approving it because it worked around certain parameters to avoid anti-trust issues.  I absolutely do not want to stifle the conversation, but if there are any perceived anti-trust issues, I want to make sure we acquire a prospective decision before moving forward.  It is unfortunate, because this is not about artificially achieving higher than competitive pricing in an area, it is about fair trade and valuing women's work appropriately.  Women in private practice seem to be saying that they are already underpaid and have been doing it out of a sense that the cost should not be the responsibility of mothers, and what they charge actually represent partial volunteerism and a scale that is based on those to whom they wish to provide charity work rather than full regular price consults for people who can afford it.  Moving forward, if the time comes when everyone is entitled to lactation visits, the true market value will come out, because the profession will not draw in nearly enough LC's to practice at "volunteer rates."  For now, I have to request that individuals please do not email me with specific pricing, thank you.  
Susan, if there could be, in the meanwhile, a survey that is more general, without asking for pricing info, i.e. a survey that asks for standards of care in each are/everything that a home visit entails  (weighed feeds?  oral assessment?  checking for tongue tie?  mother's health history?  breast assessment? etc.--I am hearing anecdotally of many different standards that vary from NY).  
I am thinking that pay and pricing is actually irrelevant!  Instead of looking at the past pay of a relatively small number of women doing home visits largely out of the goodness of their hearts, the real issue is what is fair market value to draw in enough new people to serve all mothers and babies if they are eligible for home visits.   What do you think?  Most important, Judy, absolutely, that is brilliant, of course USLCA should be included directly, I had planned on forwarding, but Susan has a much more sophisticated idea than I had that will make it much easier to share.  :-)  

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2