From:
Robyn Tippins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Nov 1998 20:50:24 EST
In a message dated 11/4/98 11:41:52 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< We all know the stool patterns change in older breastfed babies but have
 any of you seen babies go this long (two weeks) consistantly?  >>

My daughter, who now poops daily, underwent physical therapy for this exact
problem.  Our ped is a doctor who tries to stay current on breastfeeding,
herbs, and nutritional or alternative remedies to problems.  He had read of a
theory that colic, acid reflux, and infrequent stooling were symptoms of a
birth trauma to the spinal cord.  We had a particularly traumatic birth (ie
lots of pulling on her head and neck) and he thinks/thought she may have been
malaligned (her pelvis and neck no longer line up, for lack of a better way to
put it...)  He read that the spinal cord could be under tension and could
cause digestive problems.  Cady, my daughter, was on meds for acid reflux,
went potty every 7-14 days, consistently, and suffered from colic since day
one.  His suggestion to take my daughter to a chiropractor and then a physical
therapist was odd to me, but trusting him (and figuring it couldn't hurt) I
went...  Now, at 9 mos we have seen a remarkable difference.  She stools daily
(at least once, sometime 2-3 times), has few colicky symptoms, and her acid
reflux is gone (although that probably was due to her digestive system
maturing...).  This may be a total fluke, but maybe you could do a web search
on cephalopelvic malalignment (sp?) and see what turned up...?

Robyn
Breastfeeding Peer Counselor for WIC and LLL Leader-Applicant