From:
"Dr. Leeper" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Jan 2009 08:36:18 -0600
Our situation is similar...

but we are not hospital based.  We are a free-standing center that offers
retail supplies as well as clinical consultations, support groups and
classes. (Among other things)

We have a scale available for anyone to walk in and use whenever we are open
(7 days/week).  We have breastfeeding educators available to answer basic
questions, and help moms decide if they are in need of help. If they are,
they can be scheduled with one of our LCs or referred back to their Drs
office if they have their own LCs.

Sometimes established moms drop in to do "pre and posts" on their own to
reassure themselves.  And sometimes the BE encourages a mom to do a Pre and
post if they are concerned about overall gain and mom is not convinced there
is a problem.  They can be shocked to find that what appears to them to be a
"normal" feeding results in very little transfer.

I would think the challenge with "scheduled" pre and post weight stations
would be that it is often difficult for moms to exactly time a feeding to
fit.  But if the window was wide enough, it could work.

Kathy Leeper, MD, IBCLC
Medical Director, MilkWorks
Lincoln, NE