From:
Cathy Bargar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Feb 1999 11:15:42 -0500
"we both guessed that some women who have this surgery opt not to keep their
nipples.  I hadn't heard of it either...any of you?  I couldn't imagine my
body without nipples given that they are healthy and functioning".

Don't forget decorative...Seriously, I don't mean that to be as flippant as
it might sound! For example, I'm done with baby-having and nursing, but I
can't imagine "disposing" of my nipples even if I were to opt for an
elective breast surgery.

Remember recently someone posted about a woman who had had bilateral
mastectomies, had tissue moved to front to simulate the appearance of
breasts, and wanted to BF/SNS-feed her baby? I had to really think hard
about these "breasts", and found it really difficult to picture them without
nipples. Even simulated nipples without "function".

And yes, she should try using a little breastmilk on the not-healing-so-well
one.

Cathy Bargar RN, IBCLC Ithaca NY