Date:
Fri, 28 May 2010 13:03:24 EDT

Nicole writes:

One  thing I have not been able to understand yet is how women have  taken
so  easily to bottle feeding. I often ask myself, Is women's  biology a
burden on women as well? Given our Western culture and the  pressure that  it
causes around the world, can women truly fit in this  culture without  making
herculean efforts to follow their biological   calling?

 ~~~
Ah so interesting. Women's biology where I live often seems to be ignored,
deferred to work responsibilities and schedules and expectations. I am
interested to hear what others see, but I feel like I am seeing more and more
compensatory behaviors, as we abandon biological  norms and then have to
cope with the consequences of that. Examples: Mom goes away from baby for all
daytimes for work, baby gets more needy of mom, mom does not get  unbroken
sleep at night (even though this mom "broke down" and put baby in their
room, then in their bed even), so mom sleep trains baby, now baby has only 12
hours of the day to get enough to eat, growth rate slows down... I am
willing to  bet money that in many cases, if the beginning of this cascade hadn't
started,  the end point might be very different. I wonder if some of the
"swaddled to  within an inch of their lives" babies are reactions to moms
being told not to  really hold their babies except during feeding times or  not
to nurse  on cue, plus putting back down flat on their baby immediately
after any breast  time, going against biologic working and comfort... Ignore
biology and then  you've got all these compensations to try to get around the
idea that  that isn't' really working all that well. Go back to basics and
forgo the  effort needed to get by when they are ignored? Some moms will, most
can't or  don't for a complex variety of reasons. I am just so glad that
LLL helped me  understand my baby as a real being, and that we were really in
this as a  unit.

Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL