From:
Melanie Thurber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 2011 19:44:24 -0500
Hello to all of you amazing women,

I am not sure if you need to be a facebook member to see this, but there is good discussion about some breastfeeding basics because of a Black Bear named Lily. Lily has a camera in her den as she is a wild bear that researchers have been watching since she was a cub. She is currently in her den with her yearling and about to give birth again. Researchers were unsure how a yearling nursing constantly (she is, you can hear her) would effect Lily's milk supply They also have concerns about whether the new cub will be adequately nourished. The researchers asked viewers who had lactation experience or expertise to comment and the discussion that followed was great! What a wonderful way for the general public to learn a little more about how breastfeeding works. Here are some of the comments in case some are not able access the discussion.

As a former Lactation Consultant and longtime breastfeeding educator, I do know that colostrum, in humans, can be expressed well before giving birth.  It sometimes leaks and crusts on the nipples.  Although breast milk composition differs among species, the biological mechanism is about the same.  I would imagine that colostrum is attracting Hope to the nipple.........that, and the fact that she was weaned abruptly during the separations from Lily.  —Joanne M. Schwab

 Even if a human mother is breast-feeding an older child, the milk will adapt to a newborn baby as the birth date approaches. The baby will still get enough colostrum.  I don’t think you have to worry about the newborn cubs getting enough colostrum.  —Miriam Somers, The Netherlands

During pregnancy, human mothers usually produce colostrum by 25 to 26 weeks.  For me, it didn't come in fully until I gave birth to twins at 27weeks.  Humans produce milk based on demand.  With my twins it was much higher, etc.  So if Hope is already helping increase Lily's supply, she should have a bunch once she gives birth.  —Kelly Ibrahim

In my personal experience, I couldn’t get much milk when I pumped or tried self expressing, but my son got more than enough due to a strong let down when he nursed.  I think Hope has been getting something all along.  Even if she’s not, comfort nursing is important.  For some women, colostrum is available, even leaking, before the baby is born.  I don’t blame Hope for nursing.  Colostrum is the most concentrated form of breastmilk.  We breastfeeding moms call it liquid gold.  Here is a link to more information http://www.llli.org/FAQ/colostrum.html .  I believe there will be enough milk for the newborns, even with Hope nursing.  It’s good for all the babies to be nursing.  —Erika Iverson

Humans produce colostrum well before birth and many pregnant women actually leak.  As you may know, tandem nursing, while possible, is not as common in humans.  Though one of the complaints of older nurslings is changes in the milk.  Hope that helps!  —Robin Elise Weiss, CLC, LCCE http://pregnancy.about.com/

 It is very likely Lily is making colostrum.  In humans, milk is created within the breasts about half-way through the pregnancy.  Some mothers notice leaking and some do not.  In pregnant mothers who are nursing an older child, often the nursing child will comment on the change in the milk from mature milk (what the child was previously receiving) to the colostrum-type milk.  Colostrum does not immediately flood the breasts with the birth of the baby, it is ready and waiting for the baby's birth.  Within a few days after the birth the milk turns into mature milk.  —Ashley Benz, Certified Lactation Counselor, BHS, LCCE www.louisvillebreastfeedinghelp.com

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/notes/lily-the-black-bear/update-january-18-2011-503-pm cst/10150166485624478

Den camera site:
http://www.bear.org/livecams/lily-hope-cam.html

Melanie Thurber,