From:
Anne Merewood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Mar 1998 09:45:16 -0500
Today I had a baby (48 hours old) who simply would not open him mouth. It
wasn't clamped shut, he just showed no interest in the breast. The nurse
had been working with Mom all morning and Dad gave a bottle just before I
got there. I went in and out over the 4 hours I was there, the baby still
showed no interest. Mom's nipples were fine. Baby was awake, calm, and
passive. He didn't root or open. When I put my finger in his mouth he
didn't suck at all. Just sat and looked at me like I was an idiot. He was a
little mucousy and gaggy. I never saw him really hungry but when we
dribbled a bit of formula over the nipple he cried a little crossly like
'That's something I should be interested in' but he still didn't react
much. Tried with a makeshift supplementer, still not much interest. Seemed
like a baby 8 hours old not 48. Does this strike a chord with anyone or is
it just one odd case?
Anne Merewood