Date:
Tue, 29 May 2012 18:55:28 -0400
Lisa writes:

have  my  in my local  ABA group a member  who has nipple l  thrush.She is
breastfeeding 3 y.o twins
She is 5 months pregnant..
She  has been told she can't have fluconazole as she is pregnant. Is their
any  other treatment?
~~~
Not an expert, but curious so I googled and found this:
_http://www.nelm.nhs.uk/en/NeLM-Area/Evidence/Medicines-Q--A/Can-oral-flucon
azole-be-used-during-pregnancy/_
(http://www.nelm.nhs.uk/en/NeLM-Area/Evidence/Medicines-Q--A/Can-oral-fluconazole-be-used-during-pregnancy/)

It suggests that congenital malformations might, might be possible, if
given high dose (400+mg/daily) for "prolonged periods during the first
trimester.  [" high dose fluconazole (≥400mg daily) for prolonged periods  during
the first trimester of pregnancy." ] I wonder if mom would have any of  these
risk factors, since the treatment isn't usually over 400 mg for prolonged
periods, nor is she in her first trimester.

Interested to hear from the pharmacologically wiser ones...

Peace,
Judy

Judy LeVan  Fram, PT, IBCLC, LLLL
Brooklyn, NY,  USA