From:
Donna Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 08:24:22 -0800
>BTW after a cow is milked by machine her udder is stripped (finished) by
hand (I think-at least that used to be the way it was done).   Sincerely,
Pat in SNJ<

I don't know any dairy farmers who do that now. The reasons being it takes
too long to do that with every cow. Say you're milking 70 cows (and in
Canada we don't have too many herds of the size found in Florida or
California) and it takes an extra 30 seconds to a minute, you've added
around an hour to the milking time. Not worth it. Most cows are finished
milking in about 7 or 8 minutes, and the cow that always takes way longer
better be good, because she slows the system down. There always seems to be
the odd cow who has one teat that keeps streaming milk even when the other
three have slowed to a trickle.

Donna Hansen
Burnaby, British Columbia
Canada