From:
Susan Hergert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 07:52:37 -0400
PREGNANT WOMEN WITH EATING DISORDERS HAVE HIGH RISK OF PREGNANCY
COMPLICATIONS
Pregnant women with active eating disorders are at increased risk of
postpartum depression and delivery by cesarean section, according to a
report in the September issue of the American Journal of Psychiatry.
http://www.medscape.com/42631.rhtml

Thanks for sending this Jean,

I have been seeing more of what I would characterize as eating disorders
in breastfeeding mothers since I attended a workshop on the subject. An
example would be a "Failure to Thrive" baby that I assessed for milk
transfer at the breast. The milk transfer was fine, but mom was very
proud of the fact that this 4 month old was not a snacker. "She eats
when we have meals and once at bedtime.... about 4-5 times per day." No
wonder her weight was not increasing!!! The mom was known (by her doula)
to be an adkins diet follower who would eat a whole can of whipped cream
before she would give in and eat carbohydrates. This baby is being
exposed to 2nd generation eating disorder... imposed by the mother.

In two other cases that I worked with, breastfeeding failed because of
the mom's obsessive "measuring." These women wanted to know exactly how
many calories their babies were getting and couldn't handle the
ambiguity of breastfeeding. They also wanted to know exactly how many
calories they were using up by breastfeeding. Both of them were moms who
were quite proud of the fact that they did not gain during pregnancy (a
red flag for eating disorders.)

I would love to see someone do some research on lactation and eating
disorders.... how the combination affects the mom and baby.

BTW, How often is hyperemesis gravidarum associated with a history of
eating disorder and a fear of weight gain? Does anyone know if there is
research based info. out there on this? I am, anecdotally, seeing some
patterns that need description and definition.

Susan Keith-Hergert RNC, MS, IBCLC
Holistic Natal Care
Cincinnati