Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 11:26:46 EST
Like Becky, I sometimes tell mothers that extreme washing routines are not so
necessary with human milk equipment as they would think from a lifetime of
dealing with pasteurized cows milk.

I don't usually suggest not washing pump parts at all in between, because
sometimes even if they are not bacterially contaminated one does see dust etc
sticking to the sticky surfaces.  Maybe not dangerous to a healthy baby, but
yucky, yes?    But I do often say that a fast run  under the hot tap --
swish, swish -- is plenty most of the time, with an occasional more extensive
visit to soap and brushes.    Since there is usually a sink nearby, the one
minute rinse doesn't feel so intensive as the more substantial scrubbing.

(In a pinch, when no sink is around, even a wipe with a paper towel for
stickiness-diminishment is probably enough until later, I'd have thought; and
in fact I myself have done this when pumping at meetings, etc.)

Elisheva
clinical, rather than research, based, but seems kind of OK, no?