From:
Liz Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jan 2004 09:57:29 -0500
Joylyn writes about a Girl Scout Cookie Kickoff allowing "no tagalongs"
(i.e. siblings and infants) -- ironic, since Tag-a-longs are one of the GS
cookies; chocolate and peanut butter.

I would suggest that your proposed response to the event organizer (who asks
that a BF infant be nursed "away from" the girls and parents) be shortened
considerably.

I would simply point out that the Girl Scout Promise and Law**, which are to
be observed by all girl scouts and their leaders at GS events (and in their
daily lives), would honor and protect any mother meeting the needs of her
infant at a Girl Scout event.  Then, I would point out that her concerns are
rendered moot anyway, since CA law protects the BF mom's rights with civil
authority.

**The GS Promise:  "On my honor, I will try:  To serve God and my country,
To help people at all time, And to live by the GS Law."   The GS Law:  "I
will do my best to be:  Honest and fair, Friendly and helpful, Considerate
and caring, Courageous and strong, and Responsible for what I say and do,
And to respect myself and others, respect authority, use resources wisely,
make the world a better place, and be a sister to very Girl Scout."

P.S.  I think an Infant Care badge is a great idea.  Your troop can design
one on its own, for the troop, or for the [larger] Council.  See 2001 Junior
GS Badge Book, pp. VIII-IX.

Liz Brooks, JD, IBCLC -- and Co-Leader of Junior Troop 212, Girl Scouts of
Southeastern Pennsylvania
Wyndmoor, PA, USA