From:
Lisa Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Nov 1998 18:11:44 EST
I often counsel mothers-to-be to ask their pediatrician (or the ped on call
where Mom is birthing if in a hospital and she hasn't already chosen a
pediatrician) to write in the *standing orders* that baby not be given
artificial nipples, formula, or glucose water without Mom's knowledge and
consent.
    It is, unfortunately, not enough in many hospitals to check the little box
on the nursery card that says "breastfeeding" for a baby to avoid pacis,
bottles and formula.  Even having the baby in the nursery in the night and
telling the nurses that you want the baby brought to you for feedings is *not
enough* in many places.
  The hotel (oops, I mean hospital) suite where I birthed in Dec 1993 was
nicely appointed, lovely valances matching the bedspread and upholstered
chair, and a small dining table with chairs.   However, there was no place for
the support person to sleep so my husband went home the night of our baby's
birth to sleep.  I was still hooked up to catheter, automatic blood pressure
cuff, and IV (recovering from HELLP syndrome) and couldn't pick the baby up...
so off to the nursery she went.  The second night, once I was unhooked, I
still felt vulnerable and shaky, so sent the baby to the nursery around
midnight.  I couldn't sleep, so I shuffled off to the nursery to get my baby
to keep me company, to feed her and hold her.   The nurse was sitting behind a
desk, feeding my baby glucose water in a bottle.  She looked up and said
"Oooh, look how hungry she is!"  This was not the same person who handed me
the case of ready-to-feed formula bottles, and said "Hon, all my kids were
formula fed and they are just fine."

Forewarned is forearmed.

Lisa Jones, LLLL in Wellington, south Florida, USA