From:
Susan Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 11:47:06 -0700
Some comments have been posted:

"So how many times must one be bringing the child to
breast to be considered to be nurturing the child?"

We are all nurturing our children -- breast, bottle,
and beyond.  My understanding of the discussion is to
encourage mothers and lactation professionals alike to
explore the parameters of culture and biology.

"Isn't this about all a [8 month old in previous post]
2-4 year old wants to nurse (reports from friends who
nursed toddlers)?"

Culturally, biologically, or somewhere in-between?
Most 2-4 year olds I see nurse 10-12 times / day,
hourly when something's up, and no one's counting at
night...  When a mother contacts me with an 8 month
old nursing 3-4 times (and mom has no interest in
weaning), we talk about normal nursing patterns and
how they relate to her personal goals.

"Please be careful in labeling people, you never know
who you might offend."

While I am sure no one wishes to offend, I would
prefer someone err on the side of clear communication
rather than be polite and vague.  Frankly, many women
and children have been deprived of a nursing
relationship because people of influence did not wish
to offend mothers by declaring "Breast is best (no,
really!)."  Or more correctly, "Babies thrive at the
breast.  Anything less is less."

I don't think we should hide the fact that some
researchers are now suggesting it is not enough to ask
if a child was breastfed; we must ask *how.*
Traditionally ("by request"), w or w/o separation, how
long the period of exclusive bf (& define exclusive)
never mind # of months or years, did it include
co-sleeping, shared nursing, et cetera et cetera et
cetera.  In terms of the hard, cold research which
interests so many of us, etiquette takes a back seat
to science.

And about the use of "nursing."  The use of a word
often varies in the same language from place to place.
 I have long understood the word "nurse" as "health
care provider" has its roots in the practice of
nursing ("breastfeeding") the old or infirm back to
health.  Do we have any linguists on board to correct
me or elucidate?

Language is not black and white.  It is itself an
evolving metaphor for our collective thinking.  This
is why it fascinates and provokes us.

Susan Johnson  MFA, IBCLC

"Well-behaved women seldom make history."

                Laurel Thatcher Ulrich