From:
Mary Herrington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 2008 23:07:43 -0700
I wanted to share this with the entire Lactnet community, but I most especially wanted to give thanks to Natalie, Jane, Kathy, Karen, Rachel, Lara, Esther & Christina.
  You wise women gave me information, tons of advice, encouragement and most of all compassion during a most heartbreaking time.

  Drum.... roll....please... My son Benjamin is now a big, happy, breastfeeding baby boy after 9 months EPing.  We very gradually transitioned him back to breast over the winter.  My tools for success were patience, skin- to- skin, finish-at-the-breast method of bottle supplementation from lowmilksupply.org, using haberman bottles, and "dreamfeeding"

  I won't give the long boring story, but it started with his congenital oral motor dysfunction, my big nipples and no pooping for his first couple of weeks. (He's my 3rd after succcessful BFing my previous)

  I recall late one night hands free pumping at the computer reading "My Baby just Doesn't Get It" by Diane Wiessinger sobbing, sobbing, sobbing because the oldest example of a baby "getting it" was, like, 6 weeks old.  Well, I'd like to shout it from the rooftops that my son Benjamin gets it, finally!  And, yes, it was worth the wait!

  He is 11 months old now and we are enjoying the simple, loving nursing relationship that I took for granted with my first 2 babes.  I will never, ever, ever take that for granted again.

  Thank you to each of you who shared so much knowledge and expertise toward my complicated situation.  Benjamin appreciates it!

  and Happy Easter!

  Mary Herrington, RN, IBCLC
  Memorial Hermann Lactation
  The Woodlands, Texas