From:
g raphael <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 2008 02:43:41 -0700
i think mary makes an excellent point... as we learn more and get the message out about how implausible the normal reasons (excuses?) that women give for not breastfeeding (and the social pressures to b/f increase, especially amongst the middle classes) i'm sure that the reasons will just get more and more fascinatingly complicated.. this is not an attack on the mother who claims no lactose... like mary, i do not know the full details... and so i'm in no position to make judgement... but i am a cynic of cases like this in general.

someone tells me other day that her friend had to give up breastfeeding b/c she had to give up so much in her diet for her extremely sensitive/allergic child that she could no longer sustain herself with enough food... that she was starving to death..let's just say i'd like to see a middle class englishwoman's definition of starving to death...

as breastfeeding becomes more of a cultural imperative for "good mothering" will women come up with more and more outlandishly "medical" reasons as to why they couldn't breastfeed?

to the message re: the baby with reflux... i think we may be looking at food intolerances and breastfeeding in the wrong way..

i have an allergic constitution, i have hay fever, had slight asthma as a child, grind my teeth at night, have recurrent thrush etc etc... i'm super-senstive to preservatives and additives in food and try to limit to almost nothing wheat, yeast and dairy in my diet (and no i wasn't breastfed).  my children are the same..and were b/f 12+mos but they are uber healthy... why?  because i acknowledge that these foods are not good for us.. our genetic constitutions cannot deal with intensively farmed and processed food and bovine infant milk... (food that humans never evolved to consume nor metabolize)... and so we do not eat these foods... when we do, yes they go off the rails: skin rashes, diarrhea, behavior problems, runny nose etc...

i do not see that b/f failed my children b/c of their allergies... i feel that b/f liberatedt hem from an infancy that could have been filled with uncontrollable crying, eczema, asthma, stomach cramps, reflux etc if they'd been even further sensitized to cowsmilk and hydrolyzed vegetable protein...if their gut had been bombarded with "food" that we as humans were never designed to assimilate--- instead they had dairy-, sulphite- and wheat- free breastmilk that they thrived on while their gut matured (and continues to mature).

i find it fascinating that we are so emotionally connected to wheat and dairy in the northern european world (including the colonies) that the thought of eliminating them from one's diet sends people into panic...

when i hear about an infant that is clearly reacting to something in mother's milk and mother refuses to look at her own diet.. and instead puts a 3 week old on formula and antacid i wonder why this happens???

is anyone doing research on this??? am i the only person in the world that sees reflux and eczema as a symptom that something else is wrong?