Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 2009 10:33:04 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
My personal experience with both of my babies is quite the same. Both are tongue-tied - my son has the classic heart-shaped tongue and a thick tt which at the time he was born I thought was perfectly normal. And despite my lack of any bf knowledge I had no difficulties with bf, no nipple soreness, no supply issues. He has very slight problems with some of the sounds (r and s-sounds - in my language r is pronounced differently and you can usually identify tt-people only by hearing them because of the way they pronounce the r sound).
My daughter has a posterior tt with a high palate - I was able to identify it at the time she was born. And I fought nipple cracks the entire first month - things gradually improved after that and by 6 weeks I was able to nurse pain free. No problems with supply too although I never pumped.
But I have seen my modest share of tt babies with a lot of problems too - so I really believe that one must first thing see what baby is doing on the breast and then decide on the best course of action.
Could it be that the fact LC`s see primary couples with problems is the reason of seeing tt almost always as a problem? Maybe there are lots of moms bf without any difficulty their tt babies... (I am well aware though that there are other problems associated with tt later in life as shown in the wonderful presentations of Dr. Palmer).
It is always fascinating for one to realize how our own experience is sahping the way we think about things...

Christina in Bulgaria
BF Peer Councelor

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2