Date:
Fri, 6 Jun 2014 21:38:28 -0700
So good to have so many sharing their experiences, since a dearth of research on this exists.

I have two clients with babies < 4 wks (ptp) using shields since birth. One with initial low supply/ wt concerns, the other with abundant supply. Both pumping 5-8 times daily to ensure nipple stimulation even after good milk transfer evidenced by pre-post feed weights. The one with low production also uses fenugreek with subsequent adequate production. No IGT or other reasons for low supply.

They want to stop pumping so often. I've advised to try power pumping--either several brief episodes daily (per Watson Genna) or for one intensive hour daily to ensure adequate breast stimulation instead of such frequent post-feed pumpings (which they don't get around to doing until 30-60 min post feed ).

Since this all seems to be a "trial and error" subject, I will let you all know how my two clients fare.

 Please continue to share your Experienced, subjective observations, even though not evidence-based. I look forward to putting the expertise gleaned by experience into my "toolbox" of ideas that can ultimately improve the breastfeeding experience for my mothers and their babies.

Melinda Harris Moulton  ARNP IBCLC
Olympia WA
BreAstfeeding Medicine of South Sound

Sent from my iPad