From:
"Lown, Ann" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 12:50:27 -0700
The rest of the story: platelets administered during the night and level up
to 41,000 this AM. Transferred from ICU back to postpartum unit to rejoin
baby. She never did have any spontaneous bleeding to see, except what was in
urine. I debated between low-suction pump and hand expression, and decided
gentle, gentle hand expression with a lot of breast prep first, so drops
were oozing out before she even began to express. She has no bruises today.
We collected the drops in a cup and took it up to the baby (who was getting
formula meals with bottle). We lobbied for baby to spend time in ICU, but
they would only accept half-hour cuddle visits every couple of hours. Had
her express once an hour while awake, which turned out to be most of the
night, actually. Her family took turns sitting with her and the baby, so
there was always someone right there to do the milk run. Her milk is in
today (day 3), just firm-engorged, baby nursing well.

I still wonder if it's reasonable (given that we had a mom who was eager to
nurse) to wait for a clinical sign like spontaneous bleeding before
withholding breastfeeding, or if there's a particular platelet level that
would dictate what to do. I do't find a written discussion anywhere. Thanks
for your help!