From:
Lynn Carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Mar 2005 14:16:45 -0600
On Thursday, March 17, 2005, at 04:56 PM, LACTNET automatic digest
system wrote:

>  Is inadequate breastfeeding greatly associated with
> hyperbilirubinemia in full term infants?

Hi, Angela!

I bet as you continue your research, you will find "breastmilk jaundice"
referred to more accurately as "lack of breastmilk jaundice."  I have an
anecdote for you--when my son was born at home, we requested no
visitors, but they came anyway, and they were supportive of bf in name
only, 8very* uncomfortable with being where it was actually going on.  I
don't have any memory of nursing my son until about 48 hours of age,
though there is a photo at ~2hrs where he appears to be nursing.  At
72hrs, his bili count was 25.9 and we were sent to the ER.  He did have
risk factors: he was male, had a good-sized hematoma (which did resolve
quickly and spontaneously), I had a 5hr second stage, and we didn't
clamp the cord for probably three hours.

When my daughter was born, everyone present had already been told that
priority #1 was to Feed the Baby.  We banned all visitors for a week,
and those who didn't respect this found the door and phone unanswered.
I had read somewhere a study that showed trouble to be very unlikely if
the baby were nursed 9-11x in the first 24 hrs.  Needless to say, we
nursed like crazy, and we never even had to bother with the blood test.

Lynn
Missouri, USA