Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2009 10:48:57 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (43 lines)
I know some peds in this area that have a nurse in their office to do "lactation" who just pushes their own dogma:  you need your rest.  Babies will learn.  Don't pump.  Bottles are fine.  Etc. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Alison Jacobson
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2009 9:40 AM
Subject: Tongue tie

Thank you to the many wise women who are contributing information about tongue tie.  A couple of questions:

1. What are the skeptical physicians' reasons for doubting that tongue ties can affect nursing success?
2. Is tongue tie related in any way to SIDS?  Is it possible to glean any information retrospectively from pathology reports?

A quick story for everyone.  My DSL connection was down, so I called AT&T to get it fixed and running.  The operator who answered heard my kids in the background and so we began to shmooze a little about our kids.  She has a 4 month old, so of course I asked if she was "still" nursing.  She wasn't, and began to tell me the story of the most horrific birth and breastfeeding mismanagement.  It was atrocious!  She claims a lactation counselor told her that bleeding, painful nipples were just normal and she would have to be "tough".  She began pumping because of latch pain, noticed dropping levels of supply, was told to supplement with formula by a pediatrician, well, you guys could write the story without little ol' me telling it.  I practically cried for her.

Interestingly, she wanted information about relactation.  She is royally PISSED about her experience and now feels that it wasn't the result of her body failing.  (As so many women do in these circumstances.)  So she's going to e-mail me or call.  Just goes to show that you can make a connection under the most unlikely of circumstances.  I feel quite lucky to have helped her a little - if only to help her realize it wasn't her fault.

Another question: how often do you think women THINK they are seeing IBCLC's and are simply seeing a nurse or lactation educator with little or no training, despite good intentions?  I hear about these women seeing "tons"
of lactation consultants, but with very poor information passed over, and I'm getting suspicious about who they're seeing and how the person is being presented.

When I meet prenatally with women as a doula, I make them write down the letters IBCLC to put in their birth bag.  I actually tell them to insist on the letters as a way to insure a high quality helper.  Yes, yes, I know there are terrific nurses without the letters and IBCLC's who shouldn't help my cat to nurse, but all in all, I want to emphasize to women that this is a serious specialty, and not everyone can help them.  Ok, I'm off my soapbox now. :) :)

Alison Jacobson
(who is NOT an IBCLC - just a doula and wanna-be)

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2