From:
Starla Spade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 2009 12:40:09 -0500
Those of us "breastfeeding ladies" in South Carolina will be saying goodbye
today to an old friend and colleague.  Sharon Spriggs gave tireless time and
energy to supporting breastfeeding mothers in the public health setting
through our local WIC offices and has for almost 20 years.  I met Sharon about
15 years ago and was struck by her sweet, gentle spirit and never-ending
commitment to the mommies and babies that she served while as
breastfeeding coordinator for our district.
She has impacted many nurses, many of whom over the past several days
have expressed their sadness and how they became "excited" about
breastfeeding because of her.  Sharon coordinated our local Peer Counselor
Training Program and was my "go to" person if I had a mother who needed
resources outside the hospital.  Many of these mothers had little support, and
Sharon always worked to ensure these mothers got what they needed.  She
served as the historian for the South Carolina Breastfeeding Coalition and
received her IBCLC certification.  Sharon passed away much too soon from
brain cancer this past week.  Her peaceful spirit and calming nature will live in
all of us.   lot of babies received milk from their mothers... that if it were not
for Sharon... might not have.

Starla Spade, RNC, IBCLC, RLC