From:
Winnie Mading <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2008 10:45:16 -0500
"One IBCLC who was interviewed for a magazine article said that if a baby is breastfed for more
than one year, it will cause psychological damage, that could result in sexual deviation.  "

Having had the experience myself and knowing others with the same complaint, beware of being quoted in the press!  What you say may not be the way it is written.  Before believing that the IBCLC in question actually made those remarks, I would want to ask that person myself.  Unfortunately, a quote can be reported exactly the opposite of what was intended.  I have seen the word "not" left out which of course can completely chjange what one says.  I don't think it is necessarily evil intent by the reporter (although I wouldn't rule it out in all cases), but what one hears is colored by one's one experience and views and when reviewing notes from an interview, one may not remember exactly what was said or what was meant by the few words that were written down.  Ideally, when being interviewed, you should ask to record the interview yourself and ask to review the piece beforfe it is printed.  Of course, that is not always possible or practical.

Please understand, when I play "devil's advocate" I am not defending every IBCLC.  I know there are those out there that I certainly wish didn't have the credentials.  We need to keep working on developing a more effective way to "police" the profession.  Our concerns about individuals should not be based on hearsay alone.  When we hear negative things about one of our colleagues, we need to look further and not just take someone else's word about it.

Winnie Mading