From:
Maurenne griese <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 11:13:06 -0500
Katie wanted to give recent examples of the ways that formula reps peddle
their  products in hospitals and doc offices in her upcoming article for
Salon magazine.  I gave birth to my third child eight months ago.  I
received four samples of various types of formula at my first prenatal
visit-lactofree was one of them.  A toiletry travel package was included in
the gift pack.  They knew I was breastfeeding!  I received a breastfeeding
support kit upon discharge from the hospital, which included a can of
powdered Enfamil.

At the military hospital where I work as a L & D nurse, the postpartum
staff is handing out a discharge pack that also includes a manual
breastpump ( not sure of the manufacturer, Ross, maybe?).  I work tonight
so I will try to get my hands on one and e-mail you more details about it.
Parents can sign up for gifts at their first prenatal visit, which can get
them on a list with Ross for free sippy cups, a free case of Similac ready
to feed and lots of formula coupons.  The nurses that teach the CB and BF
classes at our hospital also use formula company literature.

I only work now and then and am very vocal about my disapproval of these
practices.  My co-workers and management think I am nuts, a troublemaker, a
rabble-rouser.  At least I can stand up for the courage of my convictions
and can back up my opinion with science.  It is, at times, quite difficult
to work with people who just don't give a damn.  I just keep plugging
along.  Thank God for Lactnet.  Back to lurking...

Maurenne Griese, RNC, BSN, CCE, CBE
http://www.members.about.com/Maurenne
Manhattan, KS  USA