From:
The Bentleys <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2002 09:39:18 -0500
I agree that different women have different pain thresholds and will feel
sensations differently (learned this with my two kids) BUT (and this is a
big BUT) I have seen too many mothers who have the most horrible trauma to
their nipples and say, "But I was told some pain was normal so I just kept
at it."

These women often stop breastfeeding, and I feel they have been poorly
served by the hospital nurse/midwife/friend/LC who has told them "It is
normal for breastfeeding to hurt for the first few days."  These mothers
need a definition of what 'hurting' means.

What I tell prenatal mothers or phone line requests for help is:
"Some tenderness is normal (see previous posts for wording) BUT if you are
gritting your teeth or curling your toes, there is a problem with the latch
and you need help!!!!" The mothers identify with this definition easily.

Michelle Bentley, CLE