From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jul 2013 09:33:18 -0400
Dear Lactnet Friends:

Here is the conclusion of the article: "One of the major concerns of
breastfeeding mothers is the
perception of insufficient milk supply,12–15 and currently the lactating
breasts are the only major organs in the human body
without clinical tests to determine their normal function. Our findings
suggest that the volume of milk removed at the
second hour of an hourly expression regime may be a relatively rapid
estimate of the functional capacity of the lactating
breast. However, further studies are required to fully validate this
method."

What I took away from  the article is validation that babies stimulate more
milk making than a pump. I see that the authors are saying that this MIGHT
be a way to guess at milk synthesis. (There is more to consider than milk
synthesis for infant nutrition, because milk varies in its caloric density
from 16 to 50 calories/ounce.)

Here are reasons that I suggest pumping for my clients:

1) She hasn't been breastfeeding enough. She needs to wake her breasts up.
 She's trying to rebuild milk supply and needs a twin, in addition to her
own baby. Her own baby is being supplemented during this process.

2) Her breasts need more stimulation than her baby can provide when baby is
premature or weak or sick or has a congenital anomaly that prevents
sufficient milk removal.

3) She's collecting milk for a separation. She'll get the most milk, and
learn to let down to the pump when she pumps one side while nursing on the
other.

4) She's not breastfeeding at all, and wants her baby to have her milk.

warmly,
--
Nikki Lee RN, BSN, Mother of 2, MS, IBCLC, CCE, CIMI, ANLC, CKC
Author:* Complementary and Alternative Medicine in Breastfeeding Therapy*
www.breastfeedingalwaysbest.com
https://www.facebook.com/nikkileehealth
*Get my FREE webinar series