From:
Cheryl Gamber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 1995 13:25:22 -0500
I am new to Lactnet, I am interested in LCing and have been gathering
information on the subject.  I have three BF kids, ages 9, 6, and  six
months.  All had some little idiosyncrasy in getting started on the breast as
newborns, and I had consultations with each. All were/are contented, happy
babies.
  I have enjoyed being subscribed to Lactnet, but have been concerned with
the postings about scheduled feedings and the association with conservative
Christian churches.  This has NOT been my experience as a Christian.  My kids
were always nursed whenever  they wanted to.  The first was a 37 week baby
after a difficult pregnancy when I had Grave's Disease.  He had a poor suck
and became very juandiced quickly.  I DID schedule feed him every 1 1/2 - 2
hours for the first few weeks.  Thereafter, he set the pace and was over 15
lbs. at 11 weeks.  He is still a very tall kid, and he didn't get that way by
limiting his nursing time or limiting him to only three meals a day.  He
becomes hypoglycemic if he doesn't eat between meal snacks.  My third baby is
20lbs. at six months.  Again, she hasn't grown so well by limiting feedings,
although she did sleep through the night after the first week, but that was
her own initiative.  My others didn't sleep through for months!  In our
Reformed church, there are currently ten babies 18 months and under.  All are
BF except for an adopted infant.  All are fed on demand.  Most babies from
our particular church nurse between  1-2 years, some go 3+ years.   None of
our moms have ever been criticized for their BF frequency or duration by the
church.   I have been asking friends from other denominations, and a few
pastors, too, about the "Christian" childrearing practices discussed here
recently and all have vehemently disagreed with them.  My  Bible (A rather
conservative study Bible.)  has a note on Genesis 21:8 about Isacc's weaning
party which mentions it took place in his second or third year as was the
custom.  Ephesians 6:1 says that children are to obey and honor their
parents, but the following verses instructs parents to "not exasperate your
children."  It seems to me that allowing an infant to wait on the clock for
comfort and sustenance would be exasperating to her to  say the least!
  I will step down from my soapbox now because the baby just woke up and
wants to nurse,  although I fed her an hour and a half ago....
Cheryl Gamber