From:
Karen Gromada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 13:28:55 -0500
There's some info for mothers on this subject at
http://www.karengromada.com/karengromada/faq.htm#8. MOT are told that BF two
at once (which I prefer to call simultaneous BF since "tandem" BF has long
been associated with BF two of different ages and not necessarily together
-- gets too confusing), because it will save them time. It does NOT save
time if babies have difficulty latching on or transferring milk, which is
also more likely to result in sore or damaged nipples. (This mother has less
time to take care of nipple damage, and that care will probably require
separate feedings for a bit -- so she's gained nothing!) It's also not
helpful if babies have very different feeding needs, e.g. one really needs
12 BF/24 hours while another cues for only 8-9 BF/24 hours -- bet your bippy
this mom is going to try and schedule frequent feeder to "fit" with less
frequent feeder, which may result in poor weight gain and/or at least one
very unhappy baby. (Very different feeding needs are more likely with
DZ/fraternal multiples.)
Simultaneous feeding can be wonderful and save time when a mother can depend
on at least one baby to latch on easily and transfer milk effectively, so
she only has to carefully monitor one (or none if both latch and transfer
milk well) closely during much of a BF. Simultaneous BF really helps out
when babies often want to BF within minutes of each other. It's not fun when
not yet able to BF simultaneously so have to keep switching which baby is at
breast, trying to meet both babies' needs but feeling as if you can meet the
needs of neither.

In my experience few mother-babies triads are ready, willing and able to
accomplish simultaneous BF during the first days to weeks, although some
are. (I highly encourage separate assessment for effective BF behaviors re:
mother with each multiple separately, even when both/all infants are term,
alert and AGA, before helping mother move to simultaneous BF.)

BTW, there is info about simultaneous Bf -- when and how -- in Mothering
Multiples: Breastfeeding and Caring for Twins or More (2007 and 1999 eds).

Karen Gromada
www.karengromada.com/

I would like some advice to give mothers who are