From:
Nikki Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Aug 2003 10:11:53 EDT
In a message dated 8/1/03 10:57:30 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Is it any
> wonder that diseases of alienation are among the most serious threats to
> public health?
Dear Friends:
     This sentence gets my vote as one of the most important on LACTNET this
year.
     So much of what we are dealing with is the result of the disconnection
fostered by prenatal, birth, and early postpartum practices in a
technologically driven model that is a facet of toxic capitalism.
      Pregnant women are taught to disconnect from themselves with the
emphasis on prenatal testing, adding childbirth classes to a full  workload, and
poor nutrition. Then they are prey to being co-opted by technology that will get
the baby out for them, and provide food for their babies. Then it becomes
easier to leave the baby somewhere, in daycare or with other family members, go
back to work and be 'productive'.
     Breastfeeding? Spontaneous birth in a loving environment for most women?
These are still battles that are being fought, as we all know too well.
     warmly,
Nikki Lee RN, MS, Mother of 2, IBCLC, CIMI, CCE, craniosacral therapy
Adjunct faculty, Union Institute and University, Maternal and Child Health:
Lactation Consulting
Supporting the WHO Code and the Mother Friendly Childbirth Initiative