From:
Ruth Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 1996 00:10:18 -0500
Chris, Having a son myself with TGV and vsd and on the same meds  i feel
its important to tell you that YES she can BRF I also worked as a NICU
nurse at the unit my son became the 1st outside transport to... But he was
a big guy to begin with:
         9# 1oz, i remember praying it was cardiac and not B STREP SEPSIS
because he was soooooo sick i knew if it was B strep he wouldn't make it
and we can always fix hearts.......
i went on leave and did nothing but feed this guy lots of hind milk
becsause he also had reflux i lived with him in my sling and fed him till
he grew big enough to have surgery at 7 months he lost 2 kilos (after
surgery) suffered a bypass accident and cerebral palsy and developed a true
TONIC BITE he was totally unable to suck after the surgery (we used niple
shields, sns, every thing even mct oil and fortifier etc. his erupting
incisors split open his gums and jaw bones, but he bounced back on pumped
milk (hind) for another 2 months but with all the stress and time consuming
therapies, inpt pt/ot he was inpt for 7 weeks. i didn't pump enough to keep
him on EBM for the remainder of that year (3 more months) and we ended up
with fortified soy ABM but i wouldn't have traded all the hard work FOR ANY
THING EVER! it was the only thing i could do to insure the VERY BEST START
FOR A VERY STRESSED GUY,,and I didn't even know what i know now about all
the great stuff in mom's milk, HE TAUGHT ME THAT !!!!!!!WOW i feel like the
emotions are about to explode, I can't say why or how i convinced the
doctors  but i persisted and i had two GREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT ibclcs
helping me (at another hospital), (he was air lifted to 2 different
units)see how influential you can be.
        I might not be where i am in life and I KNOW he wouldn't be were he
is if it weren't for my milk and my persistence and my utmost confidence
that only i could provide him with the BEST START....
I couldn't have done it w/o the 015 medela double and i had ALOT of milk
from my tiny t------s. I'm not sure I'd trust any thing less with my son's
lifeline...but it's better to have her use what she'll USE and
semi-automatic can get VERRRRY BORING after many weeks, months etc. ps. our
final destination Shands Cardiac unit has Allowed a new-born with a cardiac
transplant
                                 BREASTFEED !  see THE BOSS, jim alexander md.
                BOY I feel GOOOOOOOOOD, no GREAAAAAAAT ! tell that to this
mom, 8 years later, it ain't all easy but you'll never ask yourself: "what
else could i have done ?" please share this as you like.......ruthy rn bsn
ibclc (bzmbdy)