From:
katherine in atl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Sep 2004 16:23:08 -0400
<<which is to assume it is OALD. Have mom pump out 1 oz, preferrably
with a manual pump (I find these don't stimulate the supply as greatly
as the electric do). Then nurse baby and see if baby is any happier.
Perhaps this will work. >>

i'd be thinking along that as one first line of mgt.

<<Also, I'd be curious to see her on a bottle to assess her ability to
suck swallow breathe. Maybe an Avent or a Playtex clear natural latch.
Something that she has to work to get milk out of.>>

what's the general experience with Avent?  ime (limited),  there's no
work getting milk out of an avent nipple.  it absolutely pours out.

the gerber slow flow classic shape silicone seems to be the hardest to
get milk from.....  it's the only truly truly slow flow nipple that i've
found

however, i do though like the playtex naturallatch nipples, the ones
that come with the disp systems, not the one that comes with the
ventaire.  they're not far off from the gerbers.......

there are other shapes i really like, but they all have a fairly fast
flow.

i'd also be strongly strongly encouraging the parents to buy Harvey's
DVD and to start using the 5 s's immediately.  While it's not going to
solve all of their problems, it is going to given them some tools to
calm this high needs/fussy/sensitive baby and that will go a long long
way in  terms of boosting confidence.    His book is great too, but with
the DVD the parents will get the best,  most immediate help.  I now
recommend it to all of my doula clients and all of the mw's clients with
whom I come into contact.

if this is the baby who's having trouble finger feeding (getting them
all confused:)), i'd probably be cup/dropper feeding the baby to calm
her if she's fussy prior to going to the breast.  i'm not crazy about
finger feeding anyway if baby will latch and nurse.

:)
katherine in atl