From:
Miriah Hanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 10:45:03 -0500
        Hello! My name is Miriah Hanson and I am Nursing student at the
University of North Dakota. I am working with an expectant mother who
plans to breastfeed. She also plans to breastfeed and pump when she
returns to work. She is concerned about when and how she should introduce
a bottle. I have done some research on this and would appreciate your
input on what has worked for you. This is some of the information I have
found.
        Bocar (1997) suggests that a bottle should be introduced at least
two weeks before mom returns to work, preferably by someone other than
mom. Bocar also states that moms should wait until the baby is at least
two to four weeks old before introducing a bottle. Righard (1998) noted
that if the bottle is given at an early age, the baby may develop a
preference for the bottle. Gromada and Spangler (1998) state that the use
of pacifiers and bottles should be completely avoided during the newborn
period.
        I am interested in what your experiences are with introducing a
bottle and what are some of the better ways to avoid developing problems
when going from exclusive breastfeeding to feeding expressed milk and
breastfeeding.
        Thank you,
        Miriah Hanson
        University of North Dakota-College of Nursing

        Bocar, D.L. (1997) Combing breastfeeding and employment: Increasing
success. Journal of Perinatal Nursing, (11)2, 23-43.
        Gromada, K. & Spangler, A. (1998) Breastfeeding twins and
higher-order multiples. JOGGN, (27)4, 441-449.
        Righard, L. (1998) Are breastfeeding problems related to incorrect
breastfeeding techniques and the use of pacifiers and bottles? Birth,
(2501, 40-43.