From:
B & D Zucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Oct 2009 10:15:46 -0400
WIC has the ability to change lives.

I work for a WIC agency in the Bronx that has 2 IBCLCs on staff, a team of well trained Peer Counselors, a pump station, and all the supplies an IBCLC might need to work effectively.  We have a strict pump policy and all pump issuance must be approved by the IBCLC or Director.  No one gets a pump unless they really need one.  The IBCLC working with the mother will issue her checks as a part of her visit so the mom doesn't have to see the IBCLC and then wait for her checks--so this is something we are all trained to do.  When the Peer Counselors, or IBCLC does a breastfeeding class, she issues the checks as well.  It makes sense to do it this way.  It becomes a part of the mother's visit. Just like an IBCLC who sees a private patient comes home and writes up her notes, or writes a note to the HCP working with the family, it's part of the whole job.

It's not so hard to do this all the right way.  There are protocols in place to make this work.  But it is all about the Director.  She is the one who enforces the policies. She is the one that makes it happen.  So, if you know that a WIC agency in your area is handing out pumps like candy, CALL OR WRITE THE DIRECTOR.  If you are letting this slip by and saying nothing, you are contributing to the problem.  There is a Breastfeeding Coordinator in every state.  WRITE A LETTER!  The truth is that not all WIC Directors are knowledgeable, but they are trying to make a difference.  No one gets rich working for WIC.  They are there because they want to do a good job and help new mothers.  They just don't always have the knowledge to make the right choices.  Offer to give a class for the staff or set up a meeting with the director or the state coordinator.

Together we can really change the culture.  Remember that 20 years ago WIC was the "formula" people.  Now, in many areas women come to WIC for help with breastfeeding.  Women come to our WIC agency often for breastfeeding help, who otherwise would never come to WIC. In the process they get great general nutrition information while they are getting breastfeeding help and supplementary foods. WIC has made tremendous changes over the years but it is not done yet.  Help this trend gain momentum.  All you IBCLCs out there, volunteer some time to do some education at your local WIC agency.  You can be a part of this incredible movement to make WIC the Breastfeeding People!!

Barbara Leshin-Zucker, BA, IBCLC, RLC
Morrisania WIC Program
Bronx, NY