From:
Christina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2007 15:19:55 -0800
Leslie... I wholeheartedly agree...

It IS about subliminal advertising.  As I've stated before, I cannot stress
enough how many parents have actually asked me, "So do we have to use
Pampers when we get home?"  They think that because WE use that brand, that
it's the only one that works well enough.  They have asked the same about
formula, diaper creams, and other things.  They pick up on these brands
QUICK.  These companies know that parents mimic what they see in the
hospital.

I am reminded of a campaign that Tylenol had for a long time (and maybe they
still do, I just don't watch television anymore)... they used to show babies
in a nursery and then make some comment about "It's the brand hospitals
choose most often."  For starters, I wonder if they actually CHOSE that
brand or if they were given freebies... and second, it illustrates AGAIN
that these companies know parents are swayed by what hospitals use.  It's
important to them.

I wanted to comment on something else you said, Leslie:

"For those who work in a hospital and face this battle every day--I
know that there are mothers who are grateful for the breastfeeding
assistance
they get, and that if you didn't work there someone less qualified just
might.
So it is worth it to put up with that atmosphere to help these women."

I appreciated that.  That is the very thing that keeps me in the hospital
setting for now.  I keep thinking that at least we are there, TRYING to
spread good information and dispel myths about formula and assist with
breastfeeding when our overworked LCs can't always be there.  I HOPE we are
making a difference, no matter how small.  But it's hard.  As I've said to
friends, it's like we are paddling upstream and we've lost our oars... and
sometimes I think my arms will give out and I want to get out of the boat...
but then I think about the handful of people whose lives could be changed by
good information and it keeps me paddling.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Christina Harris, RN
Seattle, WA