From:
Dee Dee Saunders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 23:55:49 -0230
I am soooo frustrated, just need to vent this
one...

Had a baby and mom the last two days on maternity
ward, baby totally aversive to ANYthing in the
mouth until late this evening when he finally took
a finger  feed (is also clicky with a HIGH bunched
up tongue, but mom is great and only  lets him
stay on the breast when he opens wide and keeps
that tongue down and out!).

ANYWAY... mentioned to her family practitioner
(who is very popular here with young families)
that baby aversive to anything in the mouth, was
he suctioned rather aggresively at birth?  Doc
smiled and said yes he was.  I replied, well
sometimes they become quite averse to anything in
the mouth for a time after alot of suctioning at
birth.  He LAUGHED, then looked  down at me and
said rather smugly, "well I've never heard of that
one.."

Aaarghhhh!  This baby would spit out everything
put near the mouth, gag and the  whole show.  This
doc needs to catch up and subscibe here!

My rant, my apologies.

Dee Dee Whalen, BN RN
Goose Bay, Labrador
Canada