From:
Kathy Birt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2001 14:42:45 -0400
I have a client with a large skin tag on one nipple that has been there
since before pregnancy. She asked her OB to remove it prior to delivery in
the event it caused breastfeeding problems. She was assured it would not
interfere.  Now she is 4 weeks postpartum.  The skin tag has become so
painful that she has stopped nursing on that side and nurses only on the
other breast and pumps the affected side.  She has seen her OB again for
advice and has an appointment to see a general surgeon this week.  She has
already been told she will have to discontinue pumping or breastfeeding on
that breast when the surgeon removes the tag.  I am fearful this is going
to turn out to be a fiasco! Wish I could have just told her to tie it off
herself.  I really wish she could find a doctor that knows about nipples to
refer her to! Any ideas...perhaps a plastic surgeon who does implants and
reductions? I have instructed her to see me prior to the "surgery" for
lessons on how to hand express milk on the sore side before the procedure
as he may tell her not to use a suctioning pump to allow the nipple to heal.