From:
"D. Shinskie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 1997 10:21:27 -0500
Barb, you stated:

<<...I do know that when lactation consultants started getting provider
status and trying to "self-refer", they crossed a line that sometimes ends
up landing people behind bars of the federal prison.  Perhaps someone who
has a law degree can explain it better than I.
> The best proof of a conflict of interest is the ongoing debate on the
subject.  Our hospital no longer has lactation consultants....we brought all
staff nurses up to a standard competancy in lactation...and are on our way
to baby friendly status. >>

This sounds a bit like LC-bashing to me.  Granted you did have a rather
difficult experience but your condemnation of an entire profession seems
uncalled for.  ALL professions have those who engage in unethical behavior,
but that does not mean we dispose of everyone doing that work!  I DO agree
that what you describe is most unethical, however not a single LC I know
well operates remotely in that manner.  My hope is that you will stay on
Lactnet & be exposed to a good number of lactation professionals from all
walks who have high standards.

As a former OB RN, I do have to wonder what you mean by  having brought your
nurses "up to competency".  While I see this as a huge positive for your
patients & staff, I do not see how the nurses can provide the same level of
care an LC can provide within the confines of a nursing shift & all the
nursing responsibilities. I know I could not. I do hope you will reconsider
this decision related to no LC's, for the benefit of your patients.

Sincerely,
Debbie Shinskie RN CES IBCLC
mailto:[log in to unmask] <>< http://www.epix.net/~shinskie/debsbaby.htm