From:
Kate Hallberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 1998 10:59:40 -0800
I'm wondering what you pediatricians here do when a pregnant woman
says she isn't going to breastfeed.  Says she "doesn't like it", says
her husband wants to feed the baby, says "formula is safe", says she
has read about breastfeeding, but isn't going to do it.  Do you feel
you have an obligation to talk to her about it?  Suggest she try it?
Say, oh well, and move on?

I'm also curious about what happens right after birth with these
women.  I've heard from a few women that they didn't intend to
breastfeed, but when the baby was born it just seemed right, so they
did breastfeed.  What do the women opposed to breastfeeding do if the
baby tries to latch on?  Or are these the sort of women who don't
undress much during labor?  (I know I'm generalising, probably)  I
hate to think of the mom resisting her baby trying to nurse.  :-/  (I
know when my nephew was born I hoped for a good birth, and for him to
just do his own thing, but my sister had an induction and c-section.
He was bottlefed from birth.  :-(  )

==

Kate Hallberg, mom to Ursula (4- soon) and Sage (1.5)
http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~kolina  http://nutrition.hhdev.psu.edu/undergrad/courses/nutr251/notes/15/index.htm some corrections needed here.
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ridge/8193/