Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2006 19:15:14 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (39 lines)
Hello everyone,

I've been on this list off and on for two years and this is my first post. I am an LLL Leader 
and would like to share a breastfeeding while pregnant experience I am currently having 
that I've never read about elsewhere. 

I have a 2 year-old son and 5 year-old daughter who are continuing to nurse and I am 23 
weeks pregnant. My daughter only nurses briefly once or twice/week now but my son 
nurses several times/day. I've read Hillary Flower's Adventures in Tandem Nursing and 
am aware that moms have very different experiences and reactions to nursing a toddler/
child through a subsequent pregnancy. Some continue to enjoy it, some find it physically 
painful, too tiring or nauseating. And moms find many ways to cope and continue. 

Some moms find they feel a primal revulsion, like the reaction some have to hearing 
fingernails on a blackboard, to nursing while pregnant. This is the how I currently am 
experiencing nursing my 5 year-old. I continue to nurse her when she asks (which is 
seldom) because I am already morning the impending loss of this special time in our lives 
but my body and heart are screaming for me to stop. I would have attributed all of this to 
the pregnancy hormones and my body preparing for the new arrival but I have none of 
these feelings when nursing my 2 year-old. 

My theory on this is that it must have something to do with the sizes of their mouths or 
how they physically move their mouths while nursing. We don't hear much from moms in 
this situation and I thought some of you might find this interesting.

Jennifer Picciano
Jamesville NY, USA

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2