Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2003 21:56:16 EDT
In a message dated 6/18/2003 8:21:35 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Dear fellow lactnetters, Several staff nurses have been using the "sweet-
> ease" or 24% sucrose on the nipples to latch the babies when they don't
> latch. In our facility we use the sucrose for painful procedures. I am
> concerned about this . I feel that that sucrose is not the same as lactose
> in the mothers milk and tht this could cause a problem for baby later on
> in latching.

Lordy, ....this reminds me of the vanilla scented or flavored pacifiers that
were given to parents, who would then later show up a the hospital at all
hours of the day and night, begging for another pacifier because they could not
find the vanilla ones in the stores..........

Debbie Tobin
RN BSN IBCLC LCCE
<A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/lcagw2000/lcagwcover.html">LCAGW</A> Co-VP
Springfield, Virginia USA
In the Fairfax County suburbs outside the Washington DC beltway

<A HREF="www.BestBreastfeeding.Info">www.BestBreastfeeding.Info</A>