From:
Pat Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 2002 07:02:59 -0400
In 1992 ,when Linda Smith was working for state of Ohio, she published an
"Annotated Catalog of Breastfeeding Information Resources for Professionals
and Client Education and Guidelines for Evaluating Resources."  On page 10
there is a statement from WHO on guidelines for "informational and
educational materials" for feeding infants.  So the fact that low literacy
is recognized means that there probably is a body of research out there.
Best Start may be a current place to ask re: low literacy.
There are various systems to check literacy level of materials (Grammatik,
Cloze and SMOG).
There are a number of books.  I use one by Cecilia C. Doak called Teaching
Patients with Low Literacy Skills. ISBN: 0-397-54498-7.  It was written in
1985.  I'm sure there is more current info out there somewhere.  Good Luck,
Pat in SNJ