From:
Adrienne Salaneck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2001 21:23:42 -0400
My name is Adrienne. I am in homehealth seeing alot of new moms and babys. I
will hopefully be sitting for the IBLC exam this summer.  I had a mom ask me
if there was anything she could do to prevent ductal candidiasis. This is
her second child and w her first she had such severe infections that it
actually left scarring in one of her breasts. Also, she developed
sensitivity to antifungals, which may make treatment difficult. She also had
an abundant milk supply, bordering on oversupply.  She is already dealing w
engorgement. My only suggestions were to make sure latch ons are good to
prevent nipple trauma, frequent feedings, pump for comfort if neded, and
seek treatment asap for early symptoms in self or infant. However, when I
finished talking w her I wondered if Acidophilus might help. Any
suggestions?

Adrienne Salaneck, RN BSN