From:
"Gleason, Angela D." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jan 2008 17:04:02 -0600
susan,

yes, it is kind of frustrating with a 'borderline' diagnosis of gestational diabetes!  the routine is to do blood sugars on the baby and each hospital has it's own protocols.  the best thing to do is to put baby to breast and get some colostrum in.  colostrum is the best blood sugar stabilizer ever!  if baby won't latch for whatever reason then pump/hand express as much colostrum as possible and get it into your baby.  supplementing is only necessary if the blood sugar is critically low, again, according to hospital protocols.

it's my personal experience that moms diagnosed and poorly controlled or with type 1 diabetes have issues with delayed establishment of supply.  if you are well controlled and bf early and often you should be fine. :-)

as far as future risks, that's hard to say.  i was diagnosed with gestational diabetes with baby # 4 and immediately put on insulin.  when he was about 10 months old i was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.  the usual precaution would be to check your blood sugar for a few weeks pp and with yearly exams in the future.  hopefully you will be blessed with a healthy future without diabetes!

blessings to you!

Angie Gleason RN, IBCLC, RLC
Texas Children's Hospital
6621 Fannin Street