Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 May 2014 20:58:46 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
I live in Vancouver BC Canada. We do not do routine drug testing on mothers I personally would take offence to being tested.  It's rather big brotherish. Women who are known to have been using drugs might be tested especially if the ministry of children and families are involved. We are lucky that in our hospital, we have a unit for pregnant women with addictions that strive to reduce harm and keep mothers and babies together. Breastfeeding is encouraged where safe and it is a way to help babies through withdrawal, they will need less methadone. 

A friend of mine is a GP who works with this population. Her view is that this group of women often have a history of abuse and victimized and need as much help as possible to be good parents rather than being victimized by the system yet again. 

What's the difference between having a glass of wine and smoking a joint?  Alcohol is legal and marijuana is not. Both can impair judgement when used to excess, we don't tell women they can't breastfeed in hospital because they chose to have a celebratory glass of champagne following the birth of baby. 

I also feel that the attitude towards marijuana here is very accepting. It's not unusual to smell it on the street, there seem to be new cannabis dispensaries popping up, and sadly a store that sells beautiful hand blown glass bongs in my neighbourhood.  I saw a dad and toddler looking in the window looking at the creations that looked like colourful fish to the little boys eyes.  I know of professionals who smoke the odd joint. I don't feel that this affects their ability to do their job or to be good parents. There is no way that drug screens for all would be acceptable here. 

Cordelia Merritt RN, BSN, IBCLC
> 
> Date:    Tue, 20 May 2014 23:30:50 +1000
> From:    Karleen Gribble <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Marijuana and Breastfeeding
> 
> This discussion is very interesting to me as it seems to be a concern that predominantly from the US. I was wondering if Lactnetters outside of the US might share what happens in their contexts. Australia, NZ, Canada, UK, Spain, Norway etc etc? Are drugs routinely tested for? Are mothers positive for THC encouraged not to breastfeed? I don't work within the hospital system in Australia but I can't imagine that women would be routinely tested for THC nor that any who were positive would be discouraged from breastfeeding (since rates of marijuana use are very high). But perhaps my impressions are incorrect. 
> Karleen Gribble
> Australia 
>> 
> ******************************************************************************

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2