From:
Cordelia Merritt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 May 2014 20:58:46 -0600
I live in Vancouver BC Canada. We do not do routine drug testing on mothers I personally would take offence to being tested.  It's rather big brotherish. Women who are known to have been using drugs might be tested especially if the ministry of children and families are involved. We are lucky that in our hospital, we have a unit for pregnant women with addictions that strive to reduce harm and keep mothers and babies together. Breastfeeding is encouraged where safe and it is a way to help babies through withdrawal, they will need less methadone.

A friend of mine is a GP who works with this population. Her view is that this group of women often have a history of abuse and victimized and need as much help as possible to be good parents rather than being victimized by the system yet again.

What's the difference between having a glass of wine and smoking a joint?  Alcohol is legal and marijuana is not. Both can impair judgement when used to excess, we don't tell women they can't breastfeed in hospital because they chose to have a celebratory glass of champagne following the birth of baby.

I also feel that the attitude towards marijuana here is very accepting. It's not unusual to smell it on the street, there seem to be new cannabis dispensaries popping up, and sadly a store that sells beautiful hand blown glass bongs in my neighbourhood.  I saw a dad and toddler looking in the window looking at the creations that looked like colourful fish to the little boys eyes.  I know of professionals who smoke the odd joint. I don't feel that this affects their ability to do their job or to be good parents. There is no way that drug screens for all would be acceptable here.

Cordelia Merritt RN, BSN, IBCLC