From:
Jennifer Tow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 May 2000 00:00:44 EDT
In a message dated 5/5/0 9:01:43 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< Laurie asked on May 4 whether others have seen yeast in mothers who use

lanolin often/long in an attempt to avoid sore nipples.  A question I have

wanted to ask on LN for a long time now!  I've seen so much of this that I

find myself reflexively telling mothers to stop using the lanolin while

exploring a yeast dx and tx, but I don't have any definitive information.

Anyone know anything about this? >>

I have wondered the same thing. I have a friend who has had either yeast or
excema on her nipples for over a year. She kept using lanolin for pain relief
and the rash kept coming  back. A naturopath told her to stop using the
lanolin and the rash is now gone. She does still have very sensitive skin,
but far better than before.

<< Can yeast grow in lanolin? I've also

wondered about bacteria growth in lanolin.  This was a concern 30 years ago

with lanolin.  I'm looking for the facts here, not trying to spread

misinformation.  In my vicinity, nearly all mothers leave the hospital with

lanolin.  I believe it has actually caused a lot of sore nipples because

moms use so much of it  that the babies slip and can't keep a high latch. >>

I personally believe nothing should be given routinely to bf mothers, but the
same thing is done here. IMO, lanolin is given in lieu of support in the
hospital. B/c the lanolin is handed out to *every* bf mother, the majority of
mothers use it. I believe this gives the message that bf is painful and
soreness is to be expected and to be routinely treated with lanolin. So, the
moms go home, expecting to be sore, and do not realize until their babies
have had serious weight loss that something is really wrong. Just the act of
giving lanolin implies that her pain is normal and so she waits longer to
seek help. I believe there is a connection to yeast, if only in the
possibility that mothers delay getting help b/c of the lanolin use, providing
more time for yeast to grow. Constant application of lanolin must also change
the environment of the nipple in ways we have yet to assess.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA