From:
beth mcmillan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Sep 2010 11:51:39 -0400
Hi all,

I know I can suggest to this mom that she check ILCA find an LC listings, etc.... but....I am really hoping that someone in the 'Lactnet family' can help out here.  Permission to post.  A mom who worked with my colleague for challenges with her 1st baby about 3 years ago has moved from Ottawa, Ont. to Woolbridge, Conn.  The 1st child had a TT and there was difficulty with milk removal and supply that was eventually overcome after release and much dedication on the mom's part.  That child went on to nurse for 2+yrs, weaning only as this pregnancy began.  This 2nd baby, a girl born 24/02/10, (I don't have bw) had her tongue released in hospital here in Ottawa.  An LC (whom I know and trust) at a drop-in did wonder about the release going far enough but the baby was gaining and mom had no pain so all seemed well.  At end of April baby saw doc. in Ottawa and was identified as being in the 50th%ile for weight (assuming old charts), doc happy, baby happy, mom happy.  Family had a somewhat stressful move over the late spring/early summer.  Baby taken to ped in Conn. for immunizations and was 12lbs13oz.  At next apt. though baby had growth in head circumfrence and length there was no wt gain.  Doc took wait and see approach.  Mom, who had success with BF before, trusted that things would straighten themselves out and did no particular interventions.  Next doc visit baby's wt 11-13.  Now diagonsis of FTT and very regretful and worried mom.  Baby had enlarged aorta in prenatal u/s but ped. cardiologist in Ottawa said all was well at birth.  They will see cardiologist in Sept in Connecticut to rule out heart issues.  Mom reports that baby has never (looking back and comparing her two girls) nursed with the same gusto as her older sister, doesn't nurse to sleep and perhaps doesn't latch quite the same - more on the tip of the nipple.  Well into the conversation mom also dropped this bomb........baby sleeps from 6:30pm to about 6:30am w/o a feed.

We discussed appropriate solids (not rice cereal), increasing supply with hospital grade pump, using pumped milk as supplement in cup or to add to solids, importance of night feeds (!!), switch nursing, frequent feeds (!!), lots of carrying/skin to skin, accessing the milk bank (mom is very upset at the idea of formula and doc, of course, has told her to supplement with at least 2oz of formula at each feed!), and every other thing you can talk about on a Sunday am.  I have not seen this mom and baby - have not even worked with her with her 1st child.  Need someone kind and gentle in the Newhaven area who can help.  Mom is in self described 'crisis mode' and is getting lots of pressure, she says that baby doesn't look good.  This could easily be a case of mom overwhelmed with family circumstances, moving, etc.... missing important night feeds OR due to potential heart issues or possible unresovled TT issues it could be something else entirely! or a combination of any of the three...........

Anyone out there want to email me privately if they have a recommendation for a good LC and possibly a supportive doc.  Mom is currently supplementing and baby is taking 2 -3oz via bottle at almost every feed but mom fears loss of BF.  No noted dev. problems by either doc or mom.

Thanks

beth

Beth McMillan IBCLC
Ottawa, Ont.