From:
Peg Merrill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 2006 21:00:42 -0400
Hi lactnetters,
I'm mostly a lurker, and haven't posted in awhile, but I have two diffult
cases I have been working with, and am looking for some suggestions.

First, I am wondering if someone who has worked with an SNS might have some
suggestions for two problems a mom I'm working with has encountered.
First, the tape keeps falling apart when she tapes it under the nipple, as
it will get wet from milk dripping. She is trying to use SNS without a
nipple shield over the tube.  The second problem she keeps having is that
when she opens the valve for milk flow the baby slides down to a shallow
latch and clamps her mouth down. She has tried using both the larger tubing
and the smaller tubing, but baby still seems to be using it as a straw.  (I
am coaching her long distance and haven't seen what's happening - only have
her descriptions)

Second,  Any suggestions for getting a baby who has gotten used to a fast
flowing Avent back to the breast?  I was surprised to learn at ILCA that
the Avent is the fasting flowing bottle out there, so that probably
explains why this baby pops off the breast after 3-5 minutes. Mom has been
using an Avent to supplement and now baby is refusing to stay on the
breast.

Would appreciate any suggestions, as I havne't had first hand experience
with either of these before.
Peg Merrill, IBCLC, RLC,