From:
Rachel Myr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Oct 2015 08:14:42 -0400
Funny you should write that, Ginger, because I find FB to be nearly impossible to track threads on. If someone replies to a particular comment in a thread there, it doesn't turn up in the general stream of comments. I have to open up the comments on that comment, and after a few more clicks, before I know it I've wandered so far off I am liking some film about cute kittens that someone I don't remember why I'm friends with posted.
And the next day, I can't find *any of it* again.
Randall Jarrell's book 'The Hunter and the Mermaid' contains a passage about the hunter's concern on discovering that the mermaid didn't miss anything from her past. Everything just flowed by. 'She was then. Why would I want her now?' Only when the mermaid had become a land-dweller did she develop the capacity to long for things that were in the past.  When I am on Facebook I feel like I am in water and everything just floats by, while I am discouraged from focusing on anything at all because it all just floats by, and a new cute kitten film or picture of someone's cake frosting or a sunset will turn up soon. I start feeling that nothing at all matters very much, and that is an unpleasant feeling to me.
While e-mail may not be as immediate as FB chat or comments (though I often use e-mail to chat and it goes about as fast as FB) it allows me to find the exchanges again the next day or the next year. Unless the exchange was completely inconsequential, (in which case why am I bothering?) I like being able to pull it out and re-read it later, or forward it to someone.

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway