From:
Annelies Bon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Sep 1997 20:57:46 +0000
My first (private) response to the one who asked about this was the same
as most of you: anger, and "it's the mother's decision to breastfeed or
not".

But, now I think it over I think we still should try to help this LC and
the docter who want to figth the policy that women who had used drugs
before in their lifes are not allowed to breastfeed.

I know it is ridiculous and that it is not the task of LactNet to prove
the obvious fact that it is healthier to breastfeed, but instead this
neonathologist's task to give scientific evidence for this proposed
policy.

BUT... it is a problem, for the LC, for the ob who wants to fight it
*and* for all the women who are their patients. We can be mad etc, but
it is a common practice. And since this docter is a neonathologist it is
not easy for a woman to act against his advice.

So, I want to ask you (nicely) to give it a try and help.

I am wondering what made this docter to decide this, what his arguments
are. Is it the idea that drug use allways lead to reiteration? Or does
he think that once used drug changes something permanent in the women's
body or mind? Maybe the LC can give more details so that we can provide
some appropriae research outcomes?

eg, refs about general healthier status of bf babies, refs about drugs
and their interaction with breastmilk , but also official WHO documents.
Aren't there any about this issue? Or official guidelines from AAP?

there must be something?
--
Annelies Bon                                http://www.flnet.nl/~0bon01/
mother of Dirk 6yo, Tom 4yo, Pieter 18mo